Ingredients for Mock Chicken Recipe:
Before jumping straight to the recipe, let's take a look at what ingredients we need to make this delicious and cruelty-free mock chicken.
- 1 cup of wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup of chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
Make sure all the ingredients are available before starting the process of making the mock chicken. Now that we have all the ingredients, let's move on to the next step.
How to Make Mock Chicken?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to make this tasty mock chicken recipe:
- Mix wheat gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, sage, and paprika in a bowl.
- Now add the vegetable broth and soy sauce to the mixture to make a dough-like consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Take a baking sheet and cover it with parchment paper.
- Form the dough into small pieces (about walnut-size).
- Place these small pieces onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover the baking sheet with foil.
- Bake the mock chicken for 45 minutes.
- Let it cool down and then unwrap the foil.
- Take out the mock chicken from the baking sheet and serve hot.
Here you have it, the recipe for making mock chicken. It's an easy and quick recipe to follow. You won't take much time in preparing it either. Serve it hot and enjoy its taste!
Tips for Making Delicious Mock Chicken:
Here are some tips that would help you in making absolutely delicious mock chicken:
- Don't over-knead the dough, or it will become too tough.
- Use vegetable broth instead of water to add flavor to the chicken.
- Use a baking sheet instead of a muffin tin to bake the mock chicken.
- To make the mock chicken crispier, cook it at a higher temperature for a shorter time.
- Don't forget to baste the mock chicken with sauce or butter midway through baking, to add more flavor.
- Once baked, you can also cut the mock chicken into slices and use it in sandwiches or salads as well.
- You can also add different herbs and spices to the recipe, according to your taste.
- Make sure to store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, so it stays fresh.
- Before serving the leftovers, make sure to reheat them in the oven to make it crispy again.
- Lastly, enjoy making and eating this delicious and healthy mock chicken!
Ingredients for the Mock Chicken Recipe
In this recipe, we’ll be using a combination of tofu and seitan to create a hearty, protein-rich mock chicken. Here’s a list of the ingredients you will need to get started:
Tofu is a great source of protein and the perfect base for our mock chicken recipe. While there are many types of tofu available, we recommend using extra-firm tofu for this recipe. This type of tofu has a higher protein content and will hold its shape better when cooked.
Also known as wheat meat or wheat protein, seitan is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch has been removed. What remains is a chewy, protein-rich substance that is perfect for meatless dishes like this one.
3. Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that is often used in vegan and vegetarian cooking to add a cheesy, umami flavor. It is also a good source of protein and B vitamins, making it a smart addition to this recipe.
4. Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is a savory, salty condiment that will add depth and complexity to our mock chicken recipe. Be sure to choose a gluten-free variety if you have a gluten intolerance.
Our mock chicken recipe uses a blend of spices to add flavor and depth. You will need garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and poultry seasoning.
Flour is used to coat our mock chicken before baking. We recommend using all-purpose flour for this recipe, but you can use a gluten-free alternative if needed.
7. Non-Dairy Milk
Non-dairy milk is used to create a creamy batter that will help our flour coating stick to the tofu and seitan. You can use any variety of non-dairy milk, such as unsweetened almond milk or oat milk.
8. Olive Oil
Olive oil is used to coat our mock chicken before baking, which will help it brown and become crispy. You can use any variety of oil you prefer, such as avocado oil or coconut oil.
9. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is used to add a bright, acidic flavor to our mock chicken. You can use fresh lemon juice or bottled lemon juice, depending on what you have on hand.
10. Vegetable Broth
Vegetable broth is used to create a flavorful sauce that will be drizzled over our baked mock chicken. You can use store-bought or homemade vegetable broth for this recipe.
Ingredients for Making Mock Chicken
Making your own mock chicken is not difficult at all. You will only need a few ingredients and some basic cooking skills. Here are the ingredients you will need:
|Ingredients||Quantities (for 6 servings)|
|Texturized vegetable protein (TVP)||1 cup|
|Water or vegetable broth||2 cups|
|All-purpose flour||1/4 cup|
|Nutritional yeast flakes||1/4 cup|
|Garlic powder||1 tbsp|
|Onion powder||1 tbsp|
|Sea salt||1 tbsp|
|Soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|Olive oil||2 tbsp|
Preparing the TVP
The first step in making your mock chicken is to prepare the TVP. TVP comes in different sizes and shapes, but for this recipe, we recommend using the small granules. First, in a medium bowl, mix 1 cup of TVP with 2 cups of boiling water or vegetable broth. Stir and set aside for 10-15 minutes until the TVP is fully hydrated.
In a separate bowl, mix 1/4 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast flakes, 1 tbsp of paprika, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp of onion powder, and 1 tbsp of sea salt. Stir to combine all the dry ingredients.
Add the dry mixture to the hydrated TVP and stir until all the TVP is coated. Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 2 tbsp of olive oil and stir again until everything is well combined.
Cooking the Mock Chicken
Now that the TVP is coated with all the flavors, it's time to cook it. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coated TVP to the skillet and spread it out in a single layer. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes without stirring until the bottom is crispy and brown.
Using a spatula, flip the TVP over and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the other side is also crispy and brown. Once both sides are crispy, your mock chicken is ready to be served.
Serving Suggestions for Mock Chicken
There are many ways to enjoy your mock chicken. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it as a main dish with some roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes.
- Chop it up and add it to a salad for extra protein.
- Use it as a filling for a sandwich or wrap with some lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
- Add it to a stir-fry with some broccoli, carrots, and snap peas.
Making your own mock chicken is a great way to enjoy a plant-based alternative to chicken. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can create a delicious and versatile protein source.
So why not give this recipe a try and see how it turns out. Who knows, you may just discover a new favorite dish.